Monday, August 3, 2009

August Already?!

I can't believe it's already August! The summer seems to have come and gone in the blink of an eye. I don't know about everyone, but it sorta feels as though we got jipped of our summer. The weather was much different than what I'm used to seeing - it took forever for the weather to warm up, and now that it has, we still have very "cold" days. (Cold for an Iowan summer anyway).

Although I work on a 12-month contract, I haven't had as much interaction with everyone over the summer since most all teachers are on break, as are the kids. :) Aug. 17 teachers/staff are back, and on Aug. 20 students return and school has started!

We've enjoyed our summer. There hasn't been anything REALLY exciting, but it's nice to be relaxed for a change. Our biggest project has been getting the house more in order. Most all of the upstairs has been repainted and it's so refreshing. I'm finally getting pictures hung on the walls and things put away in their proper places. Once curtains and closets get put in place, we'll be set!
Justin's making a big change this month. He has decided to return to school at the end of August. He's pursuing a degree in accounting, which I think he'll really enjoy. We're excited for the change. Because of what his schedule will require, he won't continue working at the bank. And now he'll have the opportunity to spend 2 days/week with Xander. :) What's really nice about this is he'll have roughly the same breaks as I have. Maybe that will allow us to spend a little time traveling this year!
Daddy & Me
Our little man of the house will be 5 months on Thursday, August 6. I can't believe he's growing so fast! The other day I was noticing how big his hands and feet are getting compared to how tiny they seemed when he was born. We haven't weighed him recently but I would bet he's pretty close to 14 lbs by now!
My new best friend, Sophie Jeff


Xander's quickly learning new things. Here are a few of them:
  • Grabbing for anything and everything that peaks his interest. This includes necklaces, glasses and hair!
  • Squeeling and screeching and listening to himself talk. He LOVES making noise.
  • Xander's a tech-baby! He loves everything electronic. If you allow him to get close enough, he'll try to put it in his mouth.
  • Everything goes in his mouth to investigate. He definately uses all 5 senses to figure things out.
  • Cause and effect - he knows if he kicks on his playmat, he'll get some noise out of something! Or that if he smiles, we'll smile.
  • Rolling over to his back like a maniac - every morning or after every nap we find him on his back playing.
  • Toes - he's finally figured out he has toes and that he can fit them in his mouth!
  • Food - he watches us eat with intensity. And he's started to grab for our food. Any cup/drink resembling a bottle he reaches for and tries to drink.
  • Holding his own bottle
  • Supported sitting - bumbo, couch, laps - he's always trying to sit himself up - it looks like he's doing mini crunches.

A little mirror time

He's also had a bunch of firsts:

  • Ice cream (just a little) - including trying to eat Daddy's choco taco - that was HILARIOUS!
  • Swimming w/ Aunt Carissa in the backyard pool
  • Sitting up unsupported (kinda - a few seconds anyway)
  • This morning he supported himself on his hands and knees for a few seconds while looking around.
  • First 4th of July parade and fireworks

  • First movie at the theater (Harry Potter - he slept mostly)
  • Meeting his cousins, Emma & Sam
  • Hesitation w/ strangers

Those are just a few, and it's nowhere near everything. Those are just a few highlights I remember at the moment. I could write forever on the things he's discovering and how he's doing. He's a generally happy baby who sleeps well and loves to be social. Some days I think how I can't wait for him to do this or that, and then I change my mind and realize, yes - I can wait. He's growing up so fast I just want to enjoy it while it lasts!

I've got more pictures I'd like to share, but they aren't on my camera so I'll have to hijack a few cameras in the next few days and spam some Xander pics. :)

1 comment:

Jessica & Jason Hill said...

He's going to be getting into everything so soon! And, from the looks of him, he's going to be a little heart breaker. Adorable! Congrats to Justin on going back to school.
-- Jessica