Friday, May 11, 2012

Happy Birthday, He's 3!

(Oops - should have published this post first...)


So I've been not so great at the blogging thing here.  My other blog has gotten quieter too, but I forget to put up new pictures and news here.

The beginning of March has always been a little busier because Mom and I both celebrate our birthdays. (With Grandpa Dewey's birthday falling on the 16th, we usually celebrate with him as well.)  Because Xander's birthday is the 6th, March obviously got that much more exciting! :)

If you know Xander, you know that he loves Toy Story.  There are other things he's quite engaged in, but he really loves Woody and Buzz.  You only have to spend a short amount of time with him to know that. I could recite all three Toy Story movies to you.  He would watch them all day long if we let him.  Luckily, he's just as happy to play with his toys.

So for his birthday there was no question that some element of the movie needed to be present.  While I was hoping for a Woody/Buzz tin, Mom learned Disney really only released one cake tin, Buzz.  This was more than acceptable and when we asked Xander if that was okay, he was pretty happy with that.

I was lucky enough to have pretty much every Wilton's color on hand that was needed for the cake and so all we had to purchase was the tin.  Score! :)

Xander was far too busy with his birthday presents to really feel the need to eat any cake the day we celebrated, but he definitely wanted some of the leftovers.

We had a nice quiet celebration for Mom, myself, Xander and Grandpa at our house.  We ate sloppy joes, chips and fruit and had a laid back day.

Carissa skyped with us and so was able to be present for the present-opening.  Xander got a the Toy Story "Land Fill" from Grandma Connie and was immersed in that the remainder of the afternoon.

Saeli was a sweet little girl who slept a lot of the day, but was also passed around and loved on by everyone.  She's in a real mommy phase, but she'll sit with others for a short time.

We've learned a lot about Xander in the last 3 years.  The most striking thing is that while he may tell you he can't or won't or that he doesn't know how, he's really just fooling you.  Xander does things on his own time and will surprise you when you least expect it.  He can almost count to 20, he can recite nursery rhymes and songs after only hearing them once (although you have to catch it when he thinks you're not watching because he won't perform on command), he knows his colors and many, many shapes, and recognizes letters of his name.  (I think he actually knows more than he's telling us...like I said...all on his own time.)

He loves his baby sister very much and is always gentle and kind with her.  She loves it when he talks and sings to her, and especially when he holds her hands.  While his response to Saeli has been very subdued and accepting, we weren't without a few hiccups after Saeli's birth.  There was an adjustment period, but I think Xander has finally settled back into routine and found a rhythm that works for him.

Xander's a helper and a pleaser.  Although he's stubborn, he's quick to ask if he can help and likes to be in the thick of things if you're working on something.  With new situations, he's more reserved and observant, but warms up quickly and will engage after he's comfortable.

We just registered him for preschool this week!  He's growing up and there's really not much I can do to stop that.  I hope enjoys the learning and the time with other kids his own age.

Potty training is going extremely well at the moment.  We're are now 100% diaper-free and I love it.  How nice it is with only 1 child in diapers!

At Xander's last doctor's appointment he was measuring in the 98th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight, which is terrific.  He looks older than he is because he's so darn tall.

Not every day is sunshine and roses, but he's a very good boy and he's learning so fast, and of course, we love him no matter what!

No comments: