Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Big Boy Pants

Xander has officially reached and passed his 2.5 year mark.  I hear they don't slow down, but just keep getting older, faster.

Since shortly before he was 2, we've slowly introduced the idea of potty training.  Nothing rigorous or intense.  We purchased little potty chairs and pull-ups and let him lead the way.  It started simple with sitting him down on his chair when we changed his diaper.  We'd read a book or talk about going potty.  Sometimes he went, sometimes not.  But he was always happy when he was successful.  There was increasing amount of time spent in the bathroom!

Then somewhere along the way we hit a bump and he hated everything about using the potty.  Lots of frustration and tantrums so we backed off.  We weren't in a hurry and we didn't want him to get upset or feel pressured.

Well, we've back back on track for quite a while now.  He gets to wear his "Big Boy Pants" (superhero cloth underwear) at Grandma's house, and more consistently and frequently at home.

You can tell Xander's proud of himself when he needs to go and makes it to the potty on time.  Another reminder he's growing up! Yesterday he went all day without any accidents and even kept his diaper dry for the last few hours before bedtime.  Before we know it, he'll have the whole routine down, and will even be able to make it through naps and bedtime staying dry.

I know a lot of people struggle with potty training and their young'uns.  I'll admit I wasn't really looking forward to it myself.  I think we've had it fairly easy and I think we chose the right method for our little man.

But I must say...it's not what I expected.  It's not time-consuming, but you must be vigilant for your toddler to be successful.  We have to remember not to get too absorbed into doing our own thing otherwise accidents happen and Xander gets upset.  Personally, I think that the immediate response from us when he needs to make a trip to the bathroom makes him feel really good.  He sees us listening to him and responding to him when he needs us and that HAS to make learning the whole potty thing much easier.

Hopefully after his little sister arrives it doesn't take long for his routine to settle down...and then...only 1 child in diapers!!

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

That's awesome! I gotta admit, I'm getting a wee bit antsy for Carter to be potty trained! Not that I'll push it, because I agree, just gradually introducing it and letting it happen in its own time really truly makes it quite easy. But it'll be sooooooo nice to have NONE in diapers! Someday...